Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Toddler Talk

Emma is now at that stage where she brings a smile to our face at least three or four times at each meal. She either says something so cute and unexpected or in such a funny way that we can't almost keep from laughing. In a funny way means she says something that is officially incorrect from a language perspective, but oh so cute. Hannah was very good at this a few years back and has passed on the torch quite well.

An example is this phrase: "Ian wants to get him shoes on." She doesn't know that the word his should be used in that case. And, it cracks me up every time.

The beautiful thing for me about Emma is that she is doing this in both languages (German and English). This is the first child to be raised fully with German and so when she speaks to me in German it is great. One German phrase that she says oh so cute is: "Weißt du!" (you know). I want to record it, but I'm not sure if I could capture with good sound quality a spontaneous "Weißt du!" from her with a microphone. The microphone might distract her. Anyway, it's a fun time with Emma's development now.

1 comment:

La- said...

I love it when kids start to talk and make up their language as they go! Too bad you can't record that saying for her!! I am sure you will scrap it though!

La-

March 2007