Monday, April 7, 2008

Kids and Secrets

Spencer and Shantal came home from school today and they immediately went into the bathroom together. I saw them and Spencer says, we need to have a private conversation. I get them to come to the table to eat and they are continuing their whispering. No one wants to tell me what the secret is. But I start guessing. They kept it pretty quiet most of the day but finally at dinner, I asked Shantal what the secret was about Spencer and Bianca and she ran into Spencer telling him I knew but she didn't tell me. So come to find out, I am right.

The secret was that Spencer likes a girl in his class. And upon further investigation, this girl likes him too. It is Shantal's best friend, Bianca.

Now we have to remember, Spencer is 9 and in 3rd Grade. And as I talked to him tonight before bed, we had to whisper. Because you see, this is still a secret. He doesn't want anyone to know. But I asked him what he liked about her. He doesn't know. I asked him what he wants to do with her. he didn't know that either. I was blunt and asked if he wanted to hold or hand or kiss her. I got the...YUCK look. Whew, all is right with the world. He still isn't interested in kissing girls. But I am afraid that is not far behind.

But wait, the story gets better. Come to find out Shantal also had a secret.

During one of the breaks at school today, this boy, named Mattias from Sweden, asked Shantal if she wanted to jump rope or swing on the swings together during break. They ended up swinging. And this boy told her during the swinging that he liked her. And that he really likes it when she wears skirts to school.

So of course, I had to have a talk with Shantal before she went to bed. She isn't sure if she likes him or not. But I think she is really liking the attention from him. And she says that he is always doing nice things for her.

And I have to say, this is a first for our family. And my goodness, it happened to two of my kids on the same day!

Oh my, what is happening in the third grade this spring?

7 comments:

Yvette Pupo-Heredia said...

LOL! You did a good job of keeping the secret.

Jo Anne said...

That is so funny!! Your kids are growing up!! Wooo Hooo!!

daizie said...

oh my!! already!! EEK!

Maria said...

Ack! My son is 15 months and I am already dreading the crushes, hand holding, etc. I can only HOPE and PRAY that I lead him the right way-- to liking girls for their brains, not their bosoms, but in 3rd grade? I'm having a heart attack! GOOD LUCK!

stevet said...

oh no!!! ;)your kids are too young! (i still think of them as 6 & 5, i'm afraid!) fun story... i just don't want to deal with this stuff... i'm afraid it's not too far away from our household either...

Linda said...

Awwww... but such innocence is so sweet! Wait till they are 15 and liking a boy/girl... THAT is when it gets scary!

Haddock said...

My daughter is also 9 and 'has a boyfriend'. They recently told each that they love each other, but the haven't hands hands yet! :)

March 2007