Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Neuschwanstein Castle

Monday we drove down to Neuschwanstein Castle. We all totally loved it and would do it again if we were there. We did not do the tour inside the castle because of the kids. But if there was a way to do with and leave the kids behind, we would. Their system seemed very organized in getting everyone through without having to wait in a line.

You have to buy tickets for the tour down at the ticket office before you head up to the Castle. And there are three options for getting up to the Castle. You can walk, which is about a half hour hike up. Or you can take a bus, or do a horse ride carraige. We did the bus option, since we had the stroller. And I bought a round trip ticket for each of us. Emma and Ian were free, the kids were 1, 80 each and us adults were 2,80 each. (if my memory serves me correctly).

The thing to remember is, that the bus nor the carraige ride can take you all the way up. There is still walking to be done. But, they take you most of the way up.

After getting off the bus, we went over to the bridge to get pictures. It was a 5 minute walk up a steep hill. It was an amazing site. There was someone who works on the bridge offering to help take pictures for everyone. I think it helps to get everyone off the bridge faster. It was very windy and there is a water fall to see as well. Not all my kids would walk out on the bridge for a family photo.

Then we walked about 15 minutes over to the castle. We were able to walk all around the grounds. It was very cool. The kids really had fun seeing it. And then we opted to walk down the mountain instead of going back to where the bus was. It was a 2o minute walk down. It was a nice day for such a walk as well. We could of saved us some money and not bought that round trip ticket. Thank goodness it wasn't very much anyway.

Also, there is another Castle right across from Neuschwanstein. So you could see two castles during your one trip. We didn't have time to do the second one because of the kids. But it would of been fun. I'll have to save that for the next time I go visit the area.


Here are random pictures of the kids From Neuschwanstein Castle







Here are some pictures of the view from Neuschwanstein Castle.









And here are some pictures I took of Neuschwanstein Castle.









13 comments:

G in Berlin said...

How lovely. Looks like a great trip.

Lisa said...

Wow Wow Wow. Wonderful pictures. It looks like it was a beautiful day. The expansion bridge freaked me out a bit. The castle is just awesome. Glad you had a nice visit to it.

Cricket said...

that looks amazing! I had a friend whose hubby was stationed in the Navy overseas and they went there..she loved it! How cool that you got to visit that castle, how cool for the kids!!

smiles,

Scott said...

Looks like it was a lot of fun. I guess I need to add that to my list of places to see.

Abby said...

Wonderful pictures Tam! I am so jealous!!

JamieLynn said...

wow Tam, what amazing experiences your children are having! Such beautiful pics too.

Barbara said...

Hello Gardner & family,
What a beautiful outing :)
I enjoyed looking at your photos.

One of the good things about expat life is the chance to explore interesting places.And it looks like your children enjoyed themselves !

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures. They take me back to 1993 when I was there myself.

Maria said...

The pics are awesome, and it sounds like you had a good time. We did the tour a few years ago. It was definitely worth it.

Maribeth said...

Beautiful pictures! We so enjoyed going these and actually I was lucky enough to visit several times. Quite an amazing spot!

Anonymous said...

oh man your pics bring me back!!
I've been back in the states for 14years now but I miss it!

Thanks for the wonderful pics and inspiring my memories!

Love the sketches, too! ;)

martinshubrook said...

We are producing a test issue of a magazine based on castles and palaces of the world. Issue 1 is based on Neuschwanstein Castle.
Can anyone send us high res photos they have taken?
We will happily add your name as copyright holder within the mag.
Thanks,
Martin
martin.shubrook@shubrookbros.com

Unknown said...

Hi. I found your page off Google as we are also planning a trip to Neuschwanstein next week. We have an 18 month old and I'm not sure if we should bring the stroller or the backpack carrier. Stroller is much more convenient, but is it possible to tour the inside of the castle and the grounds with a stroller? I imagine there must be a lot of stairs?

Thanks for your advice!
Simon.

March 2007