Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Der Weihnachtsmann

On Saturday, we went to our church for a Christmas Party. And of course, no Christmas party would be complete without a visit from the big man himself. Here in Germany, he is called der Weihnachtsmann.

They called all kids under 4 years old to come up first. Emma just b-lined it up to the front. No worries, no second thoughts. Everyone said it was so cute. She went right up and sat on his lap. She was the only person to sit on his lap. Everyone else just stood next to him.

The bigger kids had to sing songs in order to get a gift. They sang in a group, not solo. My girls were happy about that since they didn't really know the songs they were supposed to sing. Spencer wasn't there but they were very generous and gave us Spencer's gift to bring home for him. Unfortunately, Gardner loved Spencer's gift and broke it within a few minutes after opening it. It was a flying Helicopter that states on the package to use outdoors. Too bad Gardner didn't read it sooner. It kind of crashed into our ceiling and broke. Spencer was OK. I think Gardner has his eye out for another one.

One thing I learned this day, that I need to teach my kids more about gift giving instead of gift receiving. Hannah cried so hard while we were there because she didn't like the present she got. Oh my, the drama while we were there. (it was just like on St Nikolaus and the drama and temper tantrum Hannah displayed because she wasn't happy with the Polly she got in her boot.) They bent over backwards to help make her happy and exchange her gift for something that was a bit more likeable to her. If I had my way, Hannah would still have her original gift.

Since that day, we have talked at length about being grateful for what we get and how we should say "thank you for thinking of me" . Christmas is about giving and not receiving.

I wonder if by Christmas my kids will be grateful for the things they get or if we will be graced with more drama and temper tantrums. I guess we will find out in 10 days.


No comments:

March 2007