Monday, August 11, 2008

Bumps and Bruises

So I was helping the kids with homework and Ian was just wandering around with Emma at times, and by himself at times. That is normal for him. He just walks around and plays and then moves on to the next play thing.

We have a play room in our basement and it isn't abnormal for him to go down there by himself to play.

Well, we have marble stairs and floors in our house. You may recall me mentioning a time or two about us always falling down them.

Well, no one was with him but all of a sudden he started screaming. So Spencer went and got him and brought him to me. I held him for a while until he settled down a bit.

then he got off my lap and wandered a bit (perhaps 2 minutes) when he started crying again. So he came back to me and I picked him up again. My arm felt wet and I looked and it was blood.

My heart sank. I had not even noticed the first time he came to me. I looked at the back of his head and there it was, not a tiny bit of blood like i am used to with a scrap or a scratch, but blood. a puddle of it right in his hair and head.

I started barking orders to the kids to get me a wet washcloth. I couldn't even see how bad it was at that moment. But then I could see there was a hole. And I could see INSIDE the hole, so I knew we had to go in.

I called my friend who lives down the street and she took the 4 kids and I went next door to my neighbor and had her watch for the dishwasher repair man who was supposed to come any minute.

I got to the hospital and I swear, I hit every single red light along the way. And since we live in the outskirts, in small little village, it took me about 20 minutes to get there.

Ian ended up with a haircut in the Emergency Room and some glue. I think he was really lucky, as it could have been much worse. I was relieved that it was glue worthy of a wound. I was sickened at the thought of having to hold him down while they put a needle and thread into his head.

The glue does burn and he screamed. But I can handle the scream that lasted all of 2 minutes. And we were seriously in and out in 10 minutes.

Now that boy is in my sight as much as possible and I have to keep him away from water for 2 days. I am afraid of him falling again. Like falling off the slide and having it pop back open. That is why I stay with him right now.

It wasn't a huge cut. But scarey to me all the same.

As I went to change his diaper tonight, the first time since going to the Emergency Room, He layed on the floor and put his hand up to the back of his head. I could tell it was definately sore and uncomfortable for him.

Here are two pictures. One is of his head with some hair covering the cut. And the second one is with me lifting up the upper layers of hair that are covering it.









1 comment:

britentj said...

Ouch poor baby! head wounds are the worst, hope he feels better soon!

March 2007