Monday, January 7, 2008

Mission Viejo students take religious classes before school

About 200 Mormon youth gather at 6:30 a.m. everyday before school reads the article.

Among the Latter-day Saints this is called Early Morning Seminary. We affectionately called it "cemetery" in my house growing up, because you felt about 1/2 dead on your way out the door. I wasn't always excited to go, but was always glad I went. I really enjoyed my freshman and sophomore years in high school where my dad would drive me to seminary. He would tell me about stuff and we would plan our activities and talk about wrestling matches coming up. It was very cool.

I've had the opportunity to participate in the seminary program twice in my life. Once as a student and once as a teacher. As a teacher I remember asking myself why are these students so tired all the time? Naturally, because they were up so early. But I didn't realize how tired I was until i let the kids teach one week. After I would sit down I was 1/2 asleep after about 2 minutes. It took a lot of work to stay awake in the seat. I didn't wonder about their tiredness after that much more.

I wonder what type of a seminary experience my children will have. Will Shantal begin in Germany? Only time will tell.


read more | digg story

No comments:

March 2007