Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Our Anniversary!

OK, so it isn't our wedding anniversary or anything terribly exciting. But Ian's birthday always sparks many memories. Ian's birthday marks how long we have been in Germany.

We moved here to Germany on September 21, 2006. This comes just three weeks after Ian was born. Ian being born just marks the craziness that happened to get us out of the country.

We had plan tickets already bought. We had to get a birth Certificate, a Social Security number and A passport picture so that we could get Ian's passport rushed back to us in order to move. This was no easy task. I remember Ian being born at 1pm and Gardner leaving that very afternoon to start the process.

Three Years in Germany. It is weird. Because when we first talked about moving here, I thought it would be for 18 months. I've lived in Germany for 18 months before. I can do that. But talking it over with Gardner one night back in Wisconsin, all of a sudden, he told me three years. OK, it just doubled.

We moved here and decided five years. It was too much of a hassle to get us moved over here. So now we are going to be here five years. After doing all the financial math, we decided we will probably be here 7 years. Notice it has already more than doubled, again.

Well, one night, Gardner mentioned we might not ever move back. And I had to think about it. And honestly, if that was to happen, it isn't the worst thing that could happen to us. But I immediately put a price on that. I told him I get to go back to America every year if we stayed indefinately.

Well, the forever got changed back to seven years. And then seven years eventually got moved to five years. And here we sit at three years in Germany. And all I can say is, I have no idea how much longer we will be here. Could be three months, could be a year, could be three years. Who knows.

No comments:

March 2007