Thursday, November 5, 2009

I'm Coming to America!

During the Spring/Summer, we thought we were moving back to America. It was a really fast thing that turned into nothing. But before we found out if fell through, I was working hard to get things in order for a quick move. But, at the same time, I was working hard to get things in order here, just in case it didn't work out. And I am so glad I did that.

When that happened, I told Gardner I deserved a trip back to America. I had earned it with all that just happened. I have to say, my heart was broken that we were not moving back. I was really looking forward to it. But hey, I got a trip out of the ordeal.

So in September I flew out to America. I flew to Wisconsin to meet a group of Scrapbooking Friends. We come from all over America (and me from Germany) and meet up in Wisconsin to Scrapbook, laugh, hang out and just enjoy being with each other.

But I had a secret. I bought my ticket the end of May and flew in September. And during that time, I did not tell my family I was coming. I decided it would be really fun to Surprise my mom. Time passed and I decided I needed to let Coleen, my youngest sister, in on the secret. And I did so. We planned a family dinner, which was supposed to be a surprise to everyone at that dinner, when I arrived. I was only to be in Salt Lake for three days. Three days is not very long at all.

Well, as it got closer, I decided I needed to tell my siblings who would be coming to dinner with us about the trip. I had a fear that their lives would be too busy and they wouldn't come. But if they knew I would be there, then they would show up. I was right. I made phone calls and made them promise not to tell anyone. Not even to discuss it with other siblings. I couldn't take a chance of it slipping at all.

I flew in Sunday and got in around 10pm at night. Coleen picked me up from the airport and drove me to my parents house. She and her husband are living there, so it made it practical. I got out of the car to get my suitcase and I saw my dad looking out the window. I thought I was busted. I thought he saw me. But he didn't. WHEW.

Coleen went into the house while I continued to get my stuff out of the car. I gave her a pack of my moms favorite candy bars from Germany. And she took it into my parents room. I could hear the conversation. And my mom asked what was behind Coleen's back. She shows her. And my mom asks, "Where did that come from?" And Coleen responded, "Where do you think it came from?" Then my mom asks, "Who sent that to you?" I guess Coleen has access to great chocolate from someone else besides me.

Anyway, at this point I literally ran in her room, jumped on her bed and said, "From me, of course!" I don't think I have ever seen my mom's jaw dropped for so long. She kept asking what I was doing there. It was seriously PRICELESS! I loved it. And I doubt I will be able to do something like that again. Plus, it wouldn't have the same effect the second time around.

While I was in Utah, The first night I went to dinner with the family. The second night, I went to dinner with a few friends from High School. The third night, I went to dinner with two of my companions from my Mission. Afterwards, I went to the movies with Coleen and Matt and then two of my High School Friends joined us.

After being in Utah for a few days, I went back to Wisconsin to enjoy another scrap weekend with friends from Wisconsin. These were the girls I used to scrap with when I lived there.

I ate out every single meal, every single day for almost two weeks. I was sure I had gained 10 pounds. I was very excited to get home and find out it was only 2 pounds.

I also got real sick while in America. I spent one whole week there coughing. And then came home and coughed for another week. I had Bronchitas. Too many airplanes and too much air conditioner. I forgot what an air conditioner felt like. COLD.

I loved every minute of my time in America. And I plan on doing it again in September 2010. And if I am really lucky, and prices for airline tickets are good, I will be able to go out in March 2010 with Hannah during Easter Break.

Here are a few pictures I have from my time in Utah. All my friends have pictures of me from Wisconsin. I have to try and get them to send them my way.










1 comment:

Kay said...

Yes, you really surprised me. It's a good thing I didn't have a heart attack right there on the spot! By the way, I'm out of Bounty bars, planning anymore "surprise" trips????

March 2007